Thursday, November 18, 2010

Monday, November 15, 2010


Hey Mom!!!

So i am here in Monroe Georgia. I got to meet President And Sister King when I first arrived. I Really dont even know where to begin. I have two companions Elder Laelau (Lay-Lou) from sanfrancsico and Elder Oxley from West Jordan Utah. They are both pretty cool guys. But I already miss Elder Wollauer from the MtC. But I AM getting along with them just great! Me and Elder Laelau are becoming really close. We have gotten to visit quite a few innactive members while we have been here, and we arent seeing many results but we have decided that innactive memebers is where our focus needs to be for the moment.

I guess the main reason the president told me I was assigned to this area was because of the radio show. The church uses a members home to do a international broadcast on Saturday mornings(this is just one of the many programs the church has i think)- but there are quite a few people who listen from Haiti, France and various other French speaking islands. I tried to tell the President my french wasnt quite up to par to speak to what he says is anywhere from 300,000-600,000 people who listen each saturday morning (the MAJORITY of whom speak french) but he insisted that I do my best. Well I did it. And I thought it went pretty good. Boy, was I nervous! And I guess it doesnt matter if my grammar was correct, just as long as people were able to feel the spirit and know how much I love the gospel.

It was kind of funny though, when the president first pulled me aside to tell me about this and he told me that they had as many as a million people tune in durring one show I painted this image of some grand radio show room with all this expensive equipment.... it was not like that at all. It was a bedroom with a computer and a small peice radio board that someone had bought at radioshack for a hundred bucks. It really made me think about how so little can touch and affect so many throughout the world.

I am gonna go ahead and just send this email, if you get it reply back as soon as possible, i should have about an hour or so more before we go eat lunch.

Momma J ????
Love you :)


Ok, so I wrote the rest of my emails. And I printed off that letter you sent me. I am excited to read it! but I figured I would go ahead and email you some more about Monroe just in case you dont get this until later today.

Life is good here. We are fed EVERY night! The food is delicious and the people are very nice. Monroe is an interesting place. the city is for the most part, extremely poor while there are some very wealthy members who live in the country. Most of the people we have visited have been in the city though. But I think I learned something, just because you are poor does not mean your house has to be in bad shape. I know that money does not buy happiness. I really do. But I have learned that failure to manage your money and have your priorities in order can and will bring UN-happiness.

I really do love the people here in my mission, we have been doing service since I got here and I really really like it here. But it just makes me sad. We heard some gun shots from our apartment on saturday night and it made me ask, why is this town like this? It is so suprising to me how much evil goes on in this world. Why would anybody ever want to live their lives in such a way that would make them so unhappy and angry all of the time. There are a lot of southern baptists here and as I have gotten to talk to them it has really strengthend my testimony of this church just because I can feel how unhappy these people are and angry. Its so sad, but it has helped me to realize how important it is as a missionary and as a member of this church, how important it is to be happy. and if youre not feeling happy, to fake being happy until you convince yourself you are happy. Nobody is gonna want to know the secret to being miserable. I think it is our responsablility as members of the church to be happy, ALL the time. I have made it my goal of my mission to be greatful for my challenges and trials WHILE they are happening. This assignment has been a challenge, but I am learning SOO much. And I am extremely confident that I can make this a very positive experience.

I love you mom, I hope you are not worried at all about me. I am happier than I have ever been. I am learning so much. I love the people here. I love the ward. I love my companions. and I love this mission. I am working hard. I have learned that if I dont like someone or something, that the best way to learn to love them is through service.

I love you mom! Talk to you soon!

Love, Elder Morgan
PS pday is monday, tell everybody I say hi and I love them. Especially Max.

No comments:

Post a Comment